CEGEP Régional de Lanaudière
This construction project consisted in the expansion and retrofit of the existing building to better serve the CEGEP’s requirements for space and to improve its overall environment.
Additions to the original College de l’Assomption made in 1958 included a chapel and a boarding school. The science laboratories had been installed under the chapel. The central wing included bedrooms on the second, third and fourth floors which were later converted into offices and classrooms. On the main floor of the central wing and in the east wing are located classrooms, space for extra curricular activities and various workshops, as well as interior design and computer laboratories.
The main purpose of this project was to add more classrooms as well as rearrange the existing space more efficiently. In addition, the chapel was converted into a library and new physical education facilities including a small gymnasium were built.
It was mandatory to keep the existing building operational during construction and limit inconvenience to CEGEP personnel and students to a minimum, especially during the school year.
Furthermore, as many activities were to be relocated, the organization of the construction work had to allow for the continuation of the normal CEGEP operations, offering temporary relocation if necessary.
The project encountered delays and cost overruns.
Revay and Associates was mandated by the CEGEP to evaluate and comment on the contractor’s claim.