Duffin Creek Water Pollution Control Plant
Location: Durham, Ontario
Project Value: $500 million
Duration: 2005 – 2018
- Project Management Support Services
- Dispute Resolution Services
The Duffin Creek Project is an exemplary model of how the commitment of enlightened ownership to excellence in performance, combined with the specialized project management expertise and experience offered by Revay can make a real and lasting contribution to the successful delivery of projects.
In 2005 the Regional Municipality of York, responding to rapid growth and urgent need to bring additional treatment capacity, received funding to proceed with construction of the Stage 3 expansion to the Duffin Creek Water Pollution Control plant, which is located on the shore of Lake Ontario in Pickering. This was followed by an expanded scope of work to upgrade the existing Stage 1 and 2 facilities. The combined budget for the work is approximately $1.2 billion and involves 15 separate construction contracts along with 32 pre-purchase contracts. A modified approach to ECPM contracting was adopted, a key feature of which was that all construction was awarded on the basis of fixed price (or design-bid-build). All of the construction is projected to be completed in 2018.
York Region decided that it had a need for planning and support specialists to assist it in controlling costs and also achieving the very aggressive schedule targets. In addition, the Region mandated the use of an Earned Value Project Management approach to integrate scope, time and cost planning and performance monitoring. Revay was awarded this role of Project Planning and Control support consultant in 2005, and continues as of this date to provide planning and control support services at the Duffin Creek site.
Description of Service
Recognizing that the success of this project would depend critically on its own planning and control capabilities, the Owner selected Revay to provide flexible and comprehensive project management support throughout the life of the project, including the following services:
- Prepare a detailed work breakdown structure with precise scope definition for the design RFP
- Prepare comparative analysis and recommendations pertaining to various contract delivery options
- Develop customized electronic RFI form to reduce response time
- Create a schedule format to control and monitor program status as well as combine separate schedules
- Create schedule simulations of the master program and individual projects
- Provide early warning of schedule slippages and off-trends productivity
- Analyze Earned Value Metrics and critical path schedule to identify off-trends and forecasts
- Review contract documents to identify potential claims exposure
- Develop customized system to minimize the impact of changes and maximize control of the change approval process
- Anticipate schedule risk including an analysis of non-critical float paths
- Review of construction schedules using a customized multi-method schedule analysis reporting system