Northend Electrification Project
New England, USA
Revay and Associates was retained to provide contract administration services and claims evaluation for this $720 million project. The project involved the electrification of approximately 155 miles of existing railroad track between New Haven, Connecticut and Boston, Massachusetts. Two thirds of the budget was allocated to payments to the design-build contractor and the remainder paid for administration, supervision, safety and support, land acquisition and various consultants and direct hire subcontractors.
Revay created the required controls on the project and initiated systems to properly facilitate administration of the work being performed by the designbuild contractor.
These systems included, among others, progress reporting, site inspections, the generation of executive reports complete with graphics as well as database tracking of claims and extras.
With respect to claims analysis, there were over 600 requests for equitable adjustment (REAs) submitted on the project. The face value of these REAs ranged from $5,000 to $49 million.
Most submittals required an entire reworking of the REA in order to determine its actual value.
Revay’s mandate included:
- preparation and control of a detailed budget for the project using a modified earned value method;
- review, analysis and approval of the design-build contractor’s monthly payment application;
- review and approval of payment requests from 30 contractors and consultants;
- generating executive reports complete with graphics;
- preparation of modifications to the design-build contract;
- compilation and quantification of backcharges to and credits from the design-build contractor;
- review and assessment of contractor claims, including schedule analysis, quantity takeoffs of the baseline and as-built drawings.